2014 President’s Distinguished Diversity Awards
The President’s Distinguished Diversity Awards are annual awards that bestow the highest level of recognition to an individual or group that encourages the entire UTSA community to think and practice diversity and inclusion in more creative and collaborative ways.
Download nomination form and award criteria.
* Deadline nomination has been extended to Feb. 14. *
Faculty and Staff members — Two awards of up to $1000 will be given. One award will recognize any individual faculty/staff member and another award will recognize a group (10 members or fewer) comprised of any combination of individuals (faculty and/or staff), academic department, unit, or office.
Students — Two awards of up to $500 will be given. One award will recognize an individual student, while another award will recognize a group of students (10 members or fewer).
Nomination packet information
The selection committee requires a Nomination Packet for consideration for this award. The Nomination Packet includes the Nomination Form, a nomination letter, and a letter of support.
- The nomination letter and the letter of support should be at least one page long, but should not exceed three pages.
- Please consider the reader’s experience in your submission. Please do not use any fonts under 10 pt., keep margins to around one inch, and adhere to all rules of grammar.
The Nomination Letter and letter of support must reference the first four criteria below. All other criteria are optional.
Written Statements must include information on the following:
- Developing innovative programs to enhance diversity within the group or University.
- Involvement with programs and activities which promote the development of multicultural understanding and cross-cultural competence.
- Implementing initiatives that create a supportive/inclusive environment.
- Creating an environment in alignment with the current diversity initiatives as listed in the UTSA strategic plan. (http://www.utsa.edu/2016/strategic/7.html)
The following serve as examples of optional information to include in written statement/letters:
- Incorporating a clear statement of importance of diversity in department or group mission statement.
- Recruiting and retaining students, faculty, and staff from underrepresented groups.
- Increasing the retention and graduation rates of students from underrepresented groups.
- Providing mentoring/advising for students from underrepresented groups.
- Providing mentoring for junior faculty and staff from underrepresented groups.
- Developing and implementing learning activities that prepare students for a diverse and global society.
- Integrating diversity into the curriculum.
- Supporting research, service and scholarships in the area of diversity.
- Providing opportunities or professional development of faculty, staff and students from underrepresented groups.
- Developing activities that support partnerships with minority-serving institutions, visiting scholars and guest lecturers from underrepresented groups.
Do not submit articles, pictures, video tapes, DVDs, or links to online content. These items will not be considered and we cannot ensure that these items will be returned to you.
All accomplishments by the nominees should have taken place, or culminated, in the previous year.
Submission and deadline
The Nomination Packet must be submitted in full. Incomplete or late Nomination Packets will not be considered. Nomination Packets must be received no later than February 14, 2014.
Complete Nomination Packets are submitted to:
Associate Provost for Diversity and Recruitment
Attn: President’s Distinguished Diversity Awards Selection Committee
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
Or electronically: email@example.com
For any questions please contact Carlos M. Lopez @ 210.458.4296 before submitting any materials.