Whether you're relocating after accepting a new position or just interested in moving to a new geographical location to pursue your career there are several issues that you will need to explore.
If you already have a position secured, your exploration will revolve around finding the best place to live and how to get yourself there. Your new employer may provide assistance with this so be sure to ask. If they don't, you can:
- Connect with local Chambers of Commerce, Visitor's Bureaus, online newspapers and apartment finders for information.
- Evaluate moving costs and other relocation issues at www.homefair.com.
- Use this Cost of Living Calculator to see if you need to make changes in your budget based upon the new location.
- Conducting a long distance job search takes additional effort on your part. Many of the companies that interview on campus may also have facilities in other geographic locations so be sure to ask if you have a preference.
- Quintessential Careers provides an excellent overview of the long distance job search as well as resources to help you in this venture.