Policies & Fees
RCMI Biophotonics Core Policies
User Training and Access
- All users must complete the user registration form and appropriate training prior to access to the facility. The level of training may vary depending upon user’s background and experience. You must be an approved user of a particular instrument before you can use it in this Core facility. Approval will be based on user’s background, experience and training.
- All users are also required by UTSA EHRMS to complete an on-line training module SA465 Laser Safety at https://mytraining.utsa.edu/td/online-login.php. Certificate of completion or a copy of your training history must be submitted to the Core manager at email@example.com before access can be granted to the facility.
- To schedule an appointment to use this facility, an approved user must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the time, data and the instrument. All appointment requests must be made 24 hours in advance. Approval of appointment will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- This facility is available from Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm. All requests for the use of facility outside normal operating hours must be made in writing (with full justifications, 48 hours in advance) to the Core manager at email@example.com. Approval will only be granted in exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis (by both RCMI PIs - Dr. Perry and Dr. Tsin).
- Trained and approved users may be allowed to sign out a swipe card for access to the facility during their scheduled appointment time. Under no circumstances should an authorized user lend the access card to another individual in order to grant an unauthorized user access to the imaging center. Any unauthorized access to the instrumentation will result in the suspension of user privileges. User should arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment time for retrieval of the swipe card
- All users must provide written notification by email to the Core manager at firstname.lastname@example.org of cancellation or rescheduling at least 2 hours prior to their appointment time. No shows, cancellations and rescheduling requests received within 2 hours of the scheduled appointment time will be charged the full amount for the hours scheduled.
- All users must arrive to the facility on-time for their appointments. Late arrival (15 minutes or longer) will result in automatic cancellation of appointment. Users of such cancelled appointments will be charged the full amount of scheduled hours.
- Exercise reasonable judgment when reserving time on instruments. This means that users should not block out large time periods for multiple days in a row unless they have discussed this with the Core manager.
- Sign up in the log book (user name, PI name, hours of use, problems/comments).
- Properly shut down and clean the instrument.
- Remove all waste and leave the room in its original condition.
- Immediately report any problems.
- Acknowledge the RCMI grant on all publications based on results from the usage of Core instrumentation. These publications must be registered in PubMed Central.
RCMI Biophotonics Core Fees
UTSA User Fees
- Zeiss 510 Meta Confocal - $25/hour unassisted; $50/hour assisted
- Zeiss Vivatome - $25/hour unassisted; $50/hour assisted
- Zeiss 710 Live Multiphoton/Confocal System - $35/hour unassisted; $60/hour assisted
Non-UTSA User Fees
- Zeiss 510 Meta Confocal - $50/hour unassisted; $100/hour assisted
- Zeiss Vivatome - $50/hour unassisted; $100/hour assisted
- Zeiss 710 Live Multiphoton/Confocal System - $70/hour unassisted; $120/hour assisted
All publications based on results from the usage of Core instrumentation must acknowledge that their work was supported in part by the RCMI grant. These publications must be registered in PubMed Central with the following acknowledgement:
This project was supported by a grant from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (G12MD007591) from the National Institutes of Health.