Follow along on Twitter: #UTSAsummerAP and on Instagram: #UTSAsummerAP
About our Summer Institute
The Advanced Placement Summer Institute is administered by the UTSA Office of Extended Education and endorsed by the Southwestern Region of the College Board. Our mission is to provide the highest quality of instruction in a professional environment, and to prepare educators in guiding students toward a successful college experience! We set aside several weeks during the summer to bring together consultants from the AP College Board and teachers (even some coming from as far as Chicago or Mexico!). Upon completion of the Institute, teachers will receive an Advanced Placement certificate which serves as their accreditation to teach *Advanced Placement courses in math, sciences, languages, arts, and more.
Our institute this year will be at the main campus, covering AP certifications in Humanities, Math, and Sciences.
Important Registration Details & Directions
Registration for AP Summer Institute 2014 has closed. Please send us an email at APSI@utsa.edu if you have any questions or concerns. The Welcome Letter has been emailed to enrolled participants and contains driving directions, parking information, check-in locations, and more information. If you did not receive your Welcome Letter email, you may download it here.
Reasons to be excited about Advanced Placement:
- Most students (82.4%) in the Class of 2011 graduated on the state’s Recommended or more rigorous Distinguished High School programs; only 17.7% of the Class of 2011 graduated on the Minimum program (percentages equal more than 100% due to rounding).
- The percentage of students completing Advanced Placement or dual-credit courses, an indicator of college readiness, has increased steadily over the last three years: 26.3% in 2009–10, 24.6% in 2008–09, and 23.% in 2007–08.
- Texas ranked 13th among the states in students’ achieving high scores on Advanced Placement exams.
- Fourteen Texas public high schools rank among the top 100 schools in the nation, according to Newsweek and US News & World Report.
How to Register
All registration for the AP Summer Institute is online through our website. You may enroll yourself; however, your school may prefer that they register you on your behalf. Many of our teachers choose the invoice option for payment. When invoice is chosen, your school must send us a full and complete purchase order, and then we send your school an invoice. Please keep an open communication with your central office at all times regarding payment, or your registration with the AP Summer Institute may be jeopardized. There will be no on-site registration.
Registration Costs at a glance:
Quick view of our registration deadlines:
- Early bird registration cost (End of Business Day, April 28): $475
- Regular registration cost (Evening of April 28 - End of Business Day, July 7): $525
- Late registration cost (Evening of July 7 - July 21): $575
Registration Deadlines & Final Payment
- Deadlines: Regular registration of $525 ends at the close of business July 7, 2014. After July 7th, a $50 fee will be incurred for late enrollments and/or changes. Changes include, but are not limited to: late/new enrollments, substituting participants, and cancellations. Late registration period will end on July 21, 2014.
- Cancellation policy: Refunds for cancellations, minus the $50 processing fee, will end at the close of business July 21, 2014. To cancel, submit in writing to email@example.com, no later than the deadline date.
- Substitutions: There is a $50 processing fee. Substitutions cannot be made after deadline date of July 21, 2014.
- Final Payment Deadline: All payments made by check or PO must be submitted by July 7, 2014.
As with previous years, some of our courses are already reaching capacity. Compare the full courses vs. the open courses by clicking here. To be added to the waitlist, please send us an email at APSI@utsa.edu to be added to the waitlist. An email is required to verify the date and timestamp of each request for the waitlist.
Refunds & Cancellation Policy
Refunds on cancellations, minus the $50 processing fee, will be given up to certain times during the enrollment period. To cancel, submit in writing to APSI@utsa.edu, or by mail no later than July 21.
Certification and Attendance Policy
Participants meet for 30 hours of instruction during the week and must attend at least 90% of the workshop (i.e., miss no more than three hours of instruction) in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Housing & Accommodations
As with our 2013 AP Summer Institute, we will not be providing housing on the UTSA campus.
There is a $50 processing fee for all subsitutions. Please submit subsitutions in writing to APSI@utsa.edu.
UTSA will make every effort to maintain the published schedule of workshops; however, we reserve the right to make any necessary changes and/or cancellations. If a workshop is changed or cancelled, all participants will be notified immediately and will be given the opportunity to transfer to an open workshop or receive a full refund.
Have any questions?
*College Board®, AP*, Advanced Placement Program* and Pre-AP* are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.