About our Summer Institute
The Advanced Placement Summer Institute is administered by the UTSA Office of Extended Education and endorsed by the Southwestern Region of the College Board*. Our mission is to provide the highest quality of instruction in a professional environment, and to prepare educators in guiding students toward a successful college experience! We set aside several weeks during the summer to bring together consultants from the AP College Board and teachers (we have even hosted international teachers!). Upon completion of the Institute, teachers will receive an Advanced Placement certificate which serves as their accreditation to teach Advanced Placement* courses in math, sciences, languages, arts, and more.
Important Registration Details & Directions
Please check back in February 2015 for an update on the next AP Summer Institute, projected for August 2015.
Reasons to be excited about Advanced Placement:
- Most students (82.4%) in the Class of 2011 graduated on the state’s Recommended or more rigorous Distinguished High School programs; only 17.7% of the Class of 2011 graduated on the Minimum program (percentages equal more than 100% due to rounding).
- The percentage of students completing Advanced Placement or dual-credit courses, an indicator of college readiness, has increased steadily over the last three years: 26.3% in 2009–10, 24.6% in 2008–09, and 23.% in 2007–08.
- Texas ranked 13th among the states in students’ achieving high scores on Advanced Placement exams.
- Fourteen Texas public high schools rank among the top 100 schools in the nation, according to Newsweek and US News & World Report.
How to Register
All registration for the AP Summer Institute is online through our website. You may find registration by visiting the workshop page of your preferred subject. You may enroll yourself; however, your school may prefer that they register you on your behalf. Many of our teachers choose the invoice option for payment. When invoice is chosen, your school must send us a full and complete purchase order, and then we send your school an invoice. Please keep an open communication with your central office at all times regarding payment, or your registration with the AP Summer Institute may be jeopardized. There will be no on-site registration.
Registration Costs at a glance:
Quick view of our 2014 registration deadlines:
- Early bird registration cost (End of Business Day, April 27): $475
- Regular registration cost (Evening of April 27 - End of Business Day, July 6): $525
- Late registration cost (Evening of July 6 - July 21): $575
Registration Deadlines & Final Payment
- Deadlines: Regular registration of $525 ends at the close of business July 7, 2014. After July 7th, a $50 fee will be incurred for late enrollments and/or changes. Changes include, but are not limited to: late/new enrollments, substituting participants, and cancellations. Late registration period will end on July 21, 2014.
- Cancellation policy: Refunds for cancellations, minus the $50 processing fee, will end at the close of business July 21, 2014. To cancel, submit in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than the deadline date for late registration.
- Final Payment Deadline: All payments made by check or purchase order must be submitted by July 7, 2014.
As with previous years, some of our courses will reaching capacity; some earlier than others. Compare the full courses vs. the open courses by clicking here. Check back to review our process on being added to any workshop waiting lists.
Subsitutions, Refunds & Cancellation Policy
All requests for subsitutions, refunds, and cancellations must be submitted in writing to our email address. Refunds on cancellations, minus the $50 processing fee, will be granted until regular registration ends. All subsitutions will require an additional $50 processing fee on top of the current registration fee. To notify us of any changes, submit in writing to APSI@utsa.edu so that we may time stamp it and begin processing. Please see below for additional instructions:
- To Email About Cancellations: Please email us and declare that you are no longer attending the AP Summer Institute, please request a refund.
- To Email About Substitutions: Please email us the name of the current teacher, the name of the workshop, the new teacher, and the point of contact whom will be processing any revised purchase orders or further payment. Substitutions cannot be made after deadline date of July 21, 2014. This is a very important deadline, as it guarantees your signed, official certificate at the end of the institute.
Certification and Attendance Policy
Participants meet for 30 hours of instruction during the week and must attend at least 90% of the workshop (i.e., miss no more than three hours of instruction) in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Housing & Accommodations
We will not be providing housing on the UTSA campus. We have made arrangements with UTSA hotels for a discounted rate. Please note that while Extended Education offices are downtown, the institute will be held at the main campus.
UTSA will make every effort to maintain the published schedule of workshops; however, we reserve the right to make any necessary changes and/or cancellations. If a workshop is changed or cancelled, all participants will be notified immediately and will be given the opportunity to transfer to an open workshop or receive a full refund.
Have any questions?
*College Board®, AP*, Advanced Placement Program* and Pre-AP* are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.