SHRM, the leading global HR professional organization, has developed the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course, which provides an introductory overview of the human resource function. Whether you are new to HR or HR is one of many roles you fulfill at your company, this program, offered in partnership with SHRM through the Office of Extended Education, covers the key HR topics you need to know.
Backed by SHRM’s track record of providing quality HR training, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course covers the topics you need. In less than 20 hours of training time, you can cover the issues you need to reduce potentially costly lawsuits.
The SHRM Essentials of HR Management course covers introductory HR topics in a condensed, easy-to-understand format. The straightforward format ensures that HR concepts can be mastered and applied to real-life situations. Along with classroom interaction with peers and the instructor, case study exercises threaded throughout the program provide opportunities to practice applying newly acquired HR skills during training prior to using them on the job.
You’ll leave with a dictionary of commonly used HR terms that can be applied throughout your organization and an understanding of the multiple and varied human resource functions. This knowledge can make you a better manager and protect your organization from needless litigation. The class introduces concepts you can use on the job even if you work outside HR. This class also prepares you to take the Human Resource Management Certificate Program.
By covering a breadth of practical HR topics, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course provides the knowledge to perform daily tasks. Through this course, you will also:
- Review key pieces of federal legislation on sexual harassment, age discrimination, and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Gain insights into employee recruitment and selection while avoiding legal pitfalls.
- Enhance your skills related to total compensation systems, pay increases and incentives, and employee benefits.
- Increase your knowledge of employee orientation, onboarding, professional development, and training.
Who Should Attend
- Human resource generalists and support staff in large organizations who need an overview of HR functions
- Non-human resource employees with human resource assignments
- Managers and others who recruit, train, and evaluate staff
- Entry-level human resource professionals
- Those seeking a career in HR
In this workshop you will learn about:
- Essential roles and responsibilities of human resource departments
- Laws, compliance, and liability
- Recruiting the best employees
- Compensation and benefits systems
- Orientation, training, and development
- Performance management, measurement, and methods
Coordinator(s)Questions about this course?
Brought to you by a partnership between UT San Antonio & University of Texas Austin