Steps to Apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan
- Fill out the FAFSA and submit it to UTSA
- Submit a credit-check for a Graduate PLUS loan at www.studentloans.gov and sign in using your Department of Education issued PIN (the same PIN you used to sign the FAFSA). If you have forgotten your PIN or do not remember it, you can resolve this at www.pin.ed.gov.
- Once signed in, you should click on "Request a PLUS Loan" and select the "Graduate PLUS" as the loan type. All required fields must be filled in.
- At the end of the application, you will be asked to consent to a credit check and will receive an immediate credit decision.
- Once you receive a credit decision, proceed based on the decision as indicated below if approved or denied.
- Submit a Graduate PLUS Request Form for the applicable aid year.
- NOTE: credit approval is only valid for 90 days and will not be extended. If credit approval expires prior to submission or processing of your Graduate PLUS Loan Request Form, you will be required to submit a new credit-check at www.studentloans.gov.
- If this is your first time borrowing a Graduate PLUS loan, you must
If your credit is denied, you may appeal the credit decision or apply for a new credit application using an endorser (cosigner). If you wish to contact the Federal Loan Origination Applicant Services (LOAS) regarding a denial, you may call LOAS at 1-800-557-7394.*
*Those approved with an endorser (cosigner) or whose denial was overturned due to an appeal will need to submit a Graduate PLUS Request Form for the applicable aid year.
- Plan ahead for repayment
- Loan Repayment Options
- Loan Forgiveness options for Teachers
- Loan Forgiveness for Public Service
Resources to Assist Borrower
- Accessing your Federal Student Loan Information
- Glossary of Common Loan Terms
- Your Federal Student Loans
Resources for Delinquency & Default
- Consequences of Default
- Facing Student Loan Default
- Default FAQ
- Why you shouldn’t avoid the problem
- Trouble making payments
- Who you can contact
- Income Based Repayment Calculator
- Standard, Extended and Graduated Calculator
- Loan Consolidation
- Debt/Salary Wizard
Loan Helpful Links
- Direct Loan Servicing
- Texas Guaranteed Student Loan (TG)
- Texas Employment Outlook
- Contact Us
- Financial Aid Home