Parent PLUS Loan Application Process
Steps to Apply for a Parent PLUS Loan
- Have your student fill out the FAFSA and submit it to UTSA
- Parents submit a credit-check for a Parent PLUS loan at www.studentloans.gov and sign in using their Department of Education issued PIN (the same PIN the parent used to sign the FAFSA). If your parent has forgotten his or her PIN or does not remember it, they can resolve this at www.pin.ed.gov.
- Once signed in, parents should click on "Request a PLUS Loan" and select the "Parent PLUS" as the loan type. All required fields must be filled in.
- At the end of the application, the parent will be asked to consent to a credit check and will receive an immediate credit decision.
- Once parents receive a credit decision, proceed based on the decision as indicated below if approved or denied.
- Submit a Parent PLUS Loan Request Form for the applicable aid year.
- NOTE: credit approval is only valid for 90 days and will not be extended. If credit approval expires prior to submission or processing of your Parent PLUS Loan Request Form, parents will be required to submit a new credit-check at www.studentloans.gov.
- Parents must sign an electric Master Promissory Note for the Parent PLUS Loan at www.studentloans.gov.
If parents credit is denied, parents may either:
- Appeal the credit decision or apply for a new credit application using an endorser (cosigner). If parents wish to contact the Federal Loan Origination Applicant Services (LOAS) regarding a denial, they may call LOAS at 1-800-557-7394.*
- With the credit denial, students may opt to request additional unsubsidized Stafford loan funds (maximum $4000 for freshman and sophomores or $5000 for juniors and seniors) by submitting a Loan Change Request Form for the applicable aid year.
*Those approved with an endorser (cosigner) or whose denial was overturned due to an appeal will need to submit a Parent PLUS Request Form for the applicable aid year.
- Plan ahead for repayment
- Loan Repayment Options
- Loan Forgiveness options for Teachers
- Loan Forgiveness for Public Service
Resources to Assist Borrower
- Accessing your Federal Student Loan Information
- Glossary of Common Loan Terms
- Your Federal Student Loans
Resources for Delinquency & Default
- Consequences of Default
- Facing Student Loan Default
- Default FAQ
- Why you shouldn’t avoid the problem
- Trouble making payments
- Who you can contact
- Income Based Repayment Calculator
- Standard, Extended and Graduated Calculator
- Loan Consolidation
- Debt/Salary Wizard
Loan Helpful Links
- Direct Loan Servicing
- Texas Guaranteed Student Loan (TG)
- Texas Employment Outlook
- Contact Us
- Financial Aid Home