Residential Learning Communities at the University of Texas at San Antonio is committed to building a residential environment design for academic success, social development, and personal growth through faculty and staff interaction and campus community partnerships.
What is a Residential Learning Community?
A Residential Learning Community (RLC) is a group of freshmen with the same major or interests who take 2 to 3 of their core curriculum classes together during their first semester at UTSA. Each RLC is comprised of 24 freshmen. Students who enroll in a RLC will live in the same section at Laurel OR Chaparral Village in order to create a specific residential learning environment. RLC is a voluntary program that assists first-year students academically and socially.
Why join a Learning Community?
- To network with faculty
- You can easily form study groups
- GPA and retention rates are consistently higher for Residential Learning Communities students
- To build connections with peer leaders who are knowledgeable about campus resources and university life
- To get involved with UTSA
- To get to know people and build friendships
- A great beginning to a valuable college education
What to expect from a Residential Learning Community
- COR 1203:Freshman Seminar course - for students interested in areas such as business, engineering, science, the College of Liberal and Fine Arts, and/or for students who are still undecided about their college major
- Outside classroom interaction with Faculty
- Academic Support programs
- Events catered to RLC students
- A supportive learning environment
- Involvement in residential community
- Involvement with UTSA community
- Peer-mentoring and study skills
- A community of students with similar interests
- Opportunities to participate in special field trips and activities
Who can join?
All freshmen who are living at Laurel OR Chaparral Village who meet the enrollment requirements
How do I apply?
Complete the Residential Learning Communities application and submit by: Friday,May 25, 2012
For more information, please contact, Learning Communities at 210-458-7490 or email Carmelita.Dunbar@utsa.edu