How to Print to PrintSpot Locations on Campus
In order to use PrintSpot on your personal computer (including your home computer), you must first install the software client. You can download the print client software from the links below (Mac and Windows versions).
View the How to Print on Campus section below for instructions on sending your print job to the UTSA Print Spot queue.
If you are not using a personal computer, you can use a computer at the Student Computing Labs or at various academic labs. These computers already have the print client software installed.
PrintSpot News: Default Double-sided Printing
The UTSA Student Government Association (SGA) and Faculty Staff Council asked and we listened! We are Going Green to save paper. Now, when you send your print jobs to a PrintSpot printer, it will automatically print as a double-sided document. See the About Printing page (in the Related Topics box) for printing costs.
Print From Home
Send your print job from home and pick up at any Print Spot on campus! Install the new Windows or Mac print client below to get the added features of sending your print job from any location on- and off-campus. (You must uninstall previous PrintSpot / PrintSmart print clients to use this feature.)
How to Print on Campus
- The Print Spot client must be installed on your personal computer before using the Print Spot system. If you are at a student computer lab, proceed to Step 2.
- Go to File > Print for the document you wish to print. NOTE: The default setting is double-sided printing. Instructions for changing your settings to print single-sided documents can be found below.
- Select the printer called PRINTSPOT from the print window if not selected already. Click OK or Print. This will send the file to the UTSAPrint Spot queue.
- Go to any printer release station location (Print Spot) on campus and swipe your UTSACard located on the printer. If you do not have your UTSACard, use the printer's touch screen to log in with your myUTSA ID (abc123) and password.
- In the following screen, verify your account information and balance, then select OK.
- Select the print job(s) you would like released to this printer or press the Print All button, then press OK to complete the process.
- Select Logout to log out of the system. If you do not manually log out, the system will log you out automatically after a few minutes of inactivity.
Figure 1. Printer Touch-Screen Login
Figure 2. Release Print Jobs Touch-Screen
Printing Single-sided Documents
NOTE: You can pick up a handout with these instructions at any Student Computing Services Lab.
Since double-sided printing is the default, you must change the settings BEFORE you send your document to the printer or you will be charged the double-sided rate.
In Office 2007, select Properties > Detailed Settings > Edit. Set Duplex to OFF.
In Office 2010, select Print > Print One Side only.
To print in Landscape mode (Office 2007), select Properties > Detailed Settings > Edit. At Duplex Setting, change Long Edge to Short Edge.
To print in Landscape mode (Office 2010), select Print > Orientation > Short Edge.
The Student Computing Services (SCS) Print Manager and SCS staff in the Business Building (BB) Lab, Frio Street (FS) Lab and Library Information Commons (LIC) will provide assistance as needed.
Windows Client Download
Read the Uninstall Guide for Windows (PDF) to uninstall older versions of any print client you may have downloaded before installing the client file.
Mac Client Download
Read the Uninstall Guide for Mac (PDF) to uninstall older versions of any print client you may have downloaded before installing the client file.
- Download print client for MAC (DMG)