UTSA ORIENTATION LEADERS About the UTSA OL Position
Benefits are subject to change based on orientation programming
- HOURLY WAGE: Starting at $7.25 per hour
- Meals when working an orientation program (if meals provided)
- Staff materials may include but are not limited to: staff shirts, name tag, and backpack.
- On-campus housing for fall orientation programming (if housing is provided)
Other benefits include
- Leadership skills
- Opportunity to meet and interact with UTSA faculty, staff, and campus departments/offices
- Develop skills in communication, public speaking, diversity and teamwork
- Greater understanding of UTSA
- Invaluable friendships and experiences
There is a major time commitment to serving as a UTSA Orientation Leader in Training and an UTSA Orientation Leader.
- The process begins when interested applicants submit their online applications at the beginning of the fall semester. Interested candidates must interview, be selected and accept a position as an Orientation Leader in Training (OLT).
- During the end of the fall semester and over the winter holiday break, OLTs must attend a Meet and Greet and attend an OLT Retreat.
- In the Spring semester, OLTs must register for and pass EDL 4953 - Special Studies in Educational Leadership, an upper division Leadership training course.
- If selected at the end of the Spring semester, OLs must participate in a two week intensive training course, all Summer/Fall orientation programs (May-Aug) and Roadrunner Camp (Thur & Fri prior to Fall classes starting).
- Please view the timeline page for details on specific dates
Below is the UTSA OL application process.
- Review Job Eligibility/Requirements/Responsibilities
- Review the Recruitment/Training/Work Timeline
- Submit Electronic Application
- Select an Interview Time/Print Interview Confirmation
- Complete an Interview
- Pick-up Position Letter
- Accept/Decline Position
- Attend OL Meet & Greet & All Other Required Activities
Students must meet the following in order to be considered an eligible candidate for the position
- Have pride and spirit for UTSA
- Must be registered for a minimum of 9 credit hours at UTSA per Fall and Spring terms
- Must have at least a 2.0 cumulative UTSA GPA (cumulative & semester) for Fall 2014 and Spring 2015
- Must be in good standings with the university
- Must not be on academic or disciplinary probation
- Must be registered for Fall 2015 classes by May 2015
- Must be available for all training / work schedule activities listed below
Orientation Leaders will have the following requirements as a part of the job
- May to August MUST live in on-campus orientation housing (if housing is provided)
- Cannot enroll in summer courses unless they are online or weekend ONLY courses
- Lead students and/or family members in various orientation activities
- Conduct campus tours
- Perform "College Life Skit/Sociodrama"
- Present "University 101", academic policy and procedures session
- Assist with orientation check-in
- Orient students to the ASAP registration process
- Trouble shoot for orientation facilitators
- Assist with Orientation and Family Programs' events (Family Weekend, Homecoming, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- View the 2014 Orientation Leader Job Description
*2015 Orientation Leader Job Description will be available at OL Retreat, please note job description is subject to change at the discretion of the Orientation and Family Programs office
Questions about the UTSA Orientation Leader experience, contact
If you have any questions about being an UTSA OL, please contact the Orientation and Family Programs Office at 210-458-4724 or Orientation@utsa.edu.
» Continue to: Timeline & Schedule