UTSA ORIENTATION LEADERS About the UTSA OL Position
Benefits are subject to change based on orientation programming
- HOURLY WAGE: Starting at $7.25 per hour
- Meals when working an orientation program (if meals provided)
- Staff materials may include but are not limited to: staff shirts, name tag, and backpack.
- On-campus housing for fall orientation programming (if housing is provided)
Other benefits include
- Leadership skills
- Opportunity to meet and interact with UTSA faculty, staff, and campus departments/offices
- Develop skills in communication, public speaking, diversity and teamwork
- Greater understanding of UTSA
- Invaluable friendships and experiences
There is a major time commitment to serving as a UTSA Orientation Leader in Training and a UTSA Orientation Leader.
- The process begins when interested applicants submit their online applications at the beginning of the fall semester. Interested candidates must interview, be selected and accept a position as an Orientation Leader in Training (OLT).
- During the end of the fall semester and over the winter holiday break, OLTs must attend a Meet and Greet and attend a OLT Retreat.
- In the Spring semester, OLTs must register for and pass EDL 4953 - Special Studies in Educational Leadership, an upper division Leadership training course.
- If selected at the end of the Spring semester, OLs must participate in a two week intensive training course, all Summer/Fall orientation programs (May-Aug) and Roadrunner Camp (Thur & Fri prior to Fall classes starting).
- Please view the timeline page for details on specific dates
Below is the UTSA OL application process.
- Review Job Eligibility/Requirements/Responsibilities
- Review the Recruitment/Training/Work Timeline
- Submit Electronic Application
- Select an Interview Time/Print Interview Confirmation
- Complete an Interview
- Pick-up Position Letter
- Accept/Decline Position
- Attend OL Meet & Greet & All Other Required Activities
Students must meet the following in order to be considered an eligible candidate for the position
- Have pride and spirit for UTSA
- Must be registered for a minimum of 9 credit hours at UTSA per Fall and Spring terms
- Must have at least a 2.0 cumulative UTSA GPA for Fall 2013 and Spring 2014
- Must be in good standings with the university
- Must not be on academic or disciplinary probation
- Must be registered for Fall 2014 classes by May 2014
- Must be available for all training / work schedule activities listed below
Orientation Leaders will have the following requirements as a part of the job
- May to August MUST live in on-campus orientation housing (if housing is provided)
- Cannot enroll in summer courses unless they are online or weekend ONLY courses
- Lead students and/or family members in various orientation activities
- Conduct campus tours
- Perform "College Life Skit/Sociodrama"
- Present "University 101", academic policy and procedures session
- Assist with orientation check-in
- Orient students to the ASAP registration process
- Trouble shoot for orientation facilitators
- Assist with Orientation and Family Programs' events (Family Weekend, Homecoming, etc.)
- Serve on a committee for the Orientation Leader Association
- Other duties as assigned
Questions about the UTSA Orientation Leader experience, contact
If you have any questions about being a UTSA OL, please contact the Orientation and Family Programs Office at 210-458-4724 or Orientation@utsa.edu.
» Continue to: Timeline & Schedule