WHAT THE EMPLOYEE SHOULD DO IF INJURED ON THE JOB
- Notify your supervisor immediately, no matter how minor the injury may seem. If necessary, report unsafe working conditions to your supervisor or the Environmental Health Safety and Risk Management Office (210) 458-5250.
- If necessary, obtain medical attention. The health care Provider Network will provide UT System employees, who live in network service areas, the opportunity for improved quality of care and help in returning to work as soon as medically appropriate. Keep in mind that not every physician accepts Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Inform the medical provider that your injury is work related. Your department will provide you with a Notification of On-The-Job Injury form to give to your medical provider.
- If you miss work due to an on the job injury, you must keep your supervisor informed of your work status by providing a Division of Workers’ Compensation Work Status Report (DWC 73) after each doctor visit. The doctor’s office must provide this report to the injured employee.
- You must also complete the form Workers' Compensation Leave of Absence (WCI 23) to select the type of leave you wish to use. The form is provided by your department.
- When your doctor releases you to return to work, you must report to work at the beginning of your next regularly scheduled shift. The DWC 73 report from your doctor indicating a return to work date or any work-related limitations must be given to your supervisor before you may return.
- Employees should tell pharmacies about WCI and provide them with the phone number of the UT System Claims Adjuster (1-888-396-6844) if there are any problems. They should also have their DWC 73 Texas Worker's Compensation Work Status Report and the Provider Notification of an On-the Job Injury form in hand when they go to the pharmacy.
- For more information, contact the Workers' Compensation Office in the Office of Environmental Health Safety and Risk Management at (210) 458-8178 or the UT System Claims Analyst at (888) 396-6844.