Our Vision Academic Excellence
UTSA is providing access to academic excellence through an educational experience of the highest quality, taught by the best faculty our nation can offer in an environment that allows students to succeed.
UTSA wants to provide students with access to the best opportunities available, matching the quality of excellence offered at the nation’s other top universities. To ensure success, UTSA provides a wide variety of quality programs and services designed to support student success and enrich learning and living experiences. We are committed to helping students reach their educational, personal, and professional aspirations.
UTSA enrolls more than 30,000 students, and we want to ensure that each student has access to the excellent opportunities offered here and also improve student graduation rates. We have included several steps in our Strategic Plan to achieve these objectives.
ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT PLAN Developing an enrollment management plan will include analyzing admissions standards for undergraduates, graduate and transfer students. Admissions criteria can be revised as necessary to ensure the success of every student admitted to UTSA.
ENHANCE RECRUITMENT Recruitment at UTSA involves a two-pronged approach including being more proactive in recruitment and also helping to prepare youth for admittance to UTSA.
To be more proactive in recruitment strategies, UTSA plans:
- target qualified UTSA undergrads for grad programs
- develop recruitment pipelines from other institutions of higher education, including community colleges
- expand recruitment of traditionally under-represented groups
- improve marketing of advanced degrees to working professionals
- expand international recruitment of students
- Develop an integrated marketing plan focused on the EMP
Through programs such as P-20 and community organization partnerships, UTSA will be able to expand and strengthen youth recruitment efforts. UTSA will also develop alternative pathways for students to enter UTSA, including community college transfer programs.
In addition to new recruitment methods, UTSA plans to increase the number and prestige of undergraduate students by offering additional competitive merit scholarships, providing training grants, raising funds to provide graduate fellowships, and providing support for students to compete for major national and international scholarships such as the Rhodes Scholars.
Plans for financial aid and scholarship include:
- Examine current strategies for distributing financial aid
- Expand on-campus employment opportunities for undergraduates through work-study, research, etc.
- Additional fundraising for scholarships and fellowships
- Expand on-campus teaching opportunities for grad students
LIBRARIES Mirroring the steady increases in student enrollments, plans for the university’s library includes a physical expansion of space available for student use, an increase in library materials budget, and an increased emphasis on providing important academic and research services.
The UTSA libraries’ materials budget has increased from $3.7 million to $5 million and the library has spent more than $1.5 million to acquire core research materials from 2004 to 2009.
RESEARCH UTSA’s established research visibility in the life sciences and as a leading producer of Hispanic baccalaureates will soon be joined in national visibility by our activities in cyber security, bioengineering, international finance and economics, neuroscience, energy and sustainability, and nanoscale physics.
To ensure that UTSA keeps pace with its expanding academic and research activities, we are implementing several strategies:
- Planning for new facilities is based on the campus master plan
- Renovation of current facilities and prioritizing for new construction
- Optimizing use of existing space through planning, assessment and reallocation