» Discovery -- UTSA Research
» Innovations -- College of Engineering
» Ovations -- College of Liberal and Fine Arts
» Spectrum -- College of Education
UTSA's innovative science, engineering summer camps break the mold
(April 27, 2011)--Kids in kindergarten through eighth grade from the greater San Antonio area can enroll in one or more weeklong summer camps that will be offered by the UTSA Interactive Technology Experience Center (iTEC) through the support of the AT&T Foundation. The camps will be 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. starting Monday, June 6 at the UTSA Main Campus.
>> Costs vary by camp; visit the iTEC Summer Camp website for details including camp schedules. The camps will include:
- Rumble in the Jungle (grades K-2) -- hours of fun building and programming robotic animals that crawl, dance and sing
- It's Alive (grades 3-5)-- building and programming Frankenbots using old scavenged robot parts and sensors -- help Frankenbot escape the angry villagers
- How the Cookie Crumbles (grades 3-5)-- learn about forensic evidence to track down a chocolate chip cookie thief
- Forces of Nature (grades 3-5)-- learn about weather prediction tools and the effects of weather on our environment, become an expert meteorologist and build a weather station to take home
- Off to a Flying Start (grades 3-5)-- learn about the high-flying world of aeronautics
- Gold Rush (grades 6-8)-- find troves of gold in a Mayan temple using treasure-hunting robots
- Area 51 Mystery (grades 6-8)-- learn about forensic evidence while searching for research scientist Dr. Zorba, who vanished into thin air while working on an alien flugometer
- Operation: Clean Sweep (grades 6-8)-- set in the year 2098, save the planet by providing speedy solutions for catastrophic events using only common materials
- Sailing in the Air (grades 6-8)-- learn about the past and future by studying ancient flying devices and their inventors
Students attending iTEC summer camps should bring each day a sack lunch that does not require refrigeration. For $10 per day, upon request, after-camp care will be available until 5:30 p.m. for children of all ages.
The UTSA iTEC was established in 2007 by a four-year, $1.5 million grant from the AT&T Foundation, the philanthropic arm of AT&T. ITEC's mission is to inspire youth by creating an environment where they can understand how engineering, science and technology shape our lives and the future of our world. Its focus areas include robotics, telecommunications, scanning electron microscope applications and design for manufacturing.
Through philanthropic initiatives and collaboration, AT&T and the AT&T Foundation support projects that create opportunities, make connections and address community needs where it operates. AT&T invests significant resources to advance education, strengthen communities and improve lives. AT&T Inc. is one of the world's largest telecommunications holding companies and is the largest in the United States.
For more information, visit the iTEC Summer Camp website.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates –- AT&T operating companies –- are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's fastest mobile broadband network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high-speed Internet and voice services. A leader in mobile broadband, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse and AT&T │DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world. In domestic markets, AT&T Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive are known for their leadership in local search and advertising. In 2010, AT&T again ranked among the 50 Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE magazine.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT. Find us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/ATT to discover more about our consumer and wireless services or at www.Facebook.com/ATTSmallBiz to discover more about our small business services.
About philanthropy at AT&T
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is committed to advancing education, strengthening communities and improving lives. Through its philanthropic initiatives and partnerships, AT&T has a long history of supporting projects that create learning opportunities; promote academic and economic achievement; and address community needs. In 2010, more than $148.2 million was contributed through corporate-, employee- and AT&T Foundation-giving programs.