The department offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with concentrations in professional writing, creative writing, and English language arts and reading as well as a minor in English Literature and a minor in Professional Writing. Honors can also be earned in English.
Honors in English
The English Department offers its outstanding students the opportunity to pursue Department Honors through advanced study and close faculty mentorship in major courses. To earn Honors, a student must:
- Maintain a 3.5 grade point average in both major work and support work as well as a 3.25 overall grade point average. Grade point average requirements apply to both transfer and courses taken at UTSA.
- Take and successfully complete three Honors-designated English classes with a grade of B or better. Any upper-division English class may be designated as Honors pending student petition and approval of the individual instructor. Honors designations involve additional coursework and faculty mentoring.
- Before graduating, submit for approval from the Departmental Scholarship and Honors Committee a portfolio containing (a) three substantial papers (totaling a minimum of 25 pages) and (b) a critical statement (5 to 8 pages). The substantial papers, at least two of which must be written for Honors-designated English courses, may be revised and edited for submission. The critical statement should assess the papers’ contribution to the student’s goals as an English major seeking Honors. The critical statement and the substantial papers will be evaluated in terms of research, analysis, eloquence, and command of subject.
Students interested in pursuing Honors may contact the English Department for further information.
Degrees and Minors
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in English
- Minor in English Literature
- Minor in Professional Writing