Employee Separation Process
Maintaining a simple, streamlined process for employees who are terminating is important in order to ensure:
- Collection of University property (including keys, ID card, phones, library books and other property) and to settle any financial obligations to UTSA before employee has separated from UTSA.
- Cancellation of network and business expense accounts, ProCard, etc.
Compliance of Federal COBRA notification and entitlements
- All separating employees are required to be processed through the University Separation Process.
I. Employing Department's Responsibilities
- When an employee resigns, please obtain written resignation. Then, confirm with an email or letter accepting his/her resignation indicating the effective date using the “Acceptance of Resignation” template.
- IMPORTANT: Though access to many UTSA systems is controlled via the employee’s myUTSA ID and password, the employee may have access to systems which utilize their own authentication systems (such as STARS, Banner, AppWorx and TrueCrypt). If the employee has access to third-party systems that are not managed by a UTSA system owner (such as Survey Monkey, GoToMeeting and Facebook), coordinate with the employee to ensure those accounts are disabled, deleted or transferred to another employee.
Please review the employee’s access to UTSA systems and data and ensure appropriate action is taken to terminate access that is no longer necessary. Action may include disabling an account, deleting an account, modifying system privileges or changing passwords to shared accounts. This will reduce the risk of future unauthorized access by the employee or by an individual who gains access to the employee’s accounts.
- Access the online Separation Notification Form
- Complete the form with the separating employee’s name, EID, Banner ID and effective date of separation.
- Under comments section, please indicate if the employee is leaving UTSA or transferring to another department. If individual is a student, please indicate whether they will continue as a student at UTSA.
- When the “Submit” button is pressed, a (pre-populated) e-mail will be sent to Human Resources. After validation, HR will forward the separation form to the “Separation Notification Group” (SNG). The distribution list is comprised of the following departments;
- Access Control: x6486
- Banner Support: x6925
- DEFINE Administrative Services: x4556
- Disbursement and Travel Services Office: x4831
- Fiscal Services: DT x2823 / 1604 x4293
- OIT Support Services (Help Desk): x5538
- Human Resources: x4648
- Inventory: x4844
- Library: x7506
- Office of Research Integrity and Compliance: x6587
- Office of Sponsored Programs: x4340
- Parking & Transportation: x7275
- Pro Card Compliance Office: x4059
- Telephone Services: x5555
- UTSA Card Services: x4639
The e-mail to the SNG group will state:
The following employee is separating from employment at UTSA. Please terminate all accounts associated with this employee as of the Separation Date indicated below.
If there are any outstanding financial obligations or university property that need to be recovered, please notify the department contact listed below. Once you have completed clearance in your respective area, e-mail the department contact confirming such.
Jonathan A. Deer,
Banner ID: 00185497
- When the employing department receives emailed responses from the SNG regarding the separating employee’s clearance status, please communicate with the separating employee to settle any outstanding obligations.
- Call and schedule an appointment with a Benefits Representative at 458-4250; provide the employee with the name of the Benefits representative and the date/time of meeting.
- Once the employing department has obtained clearance from the SNG,
complete and sign the following:
- Section I of the NEW Employee Separation Processing Checklist
- Send form to HR via fax (x4647) or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE the benefits exit interview.
- Reconcile separating employee’s time and leave balance to ensure proper payout.
- Terminate separating employee’s assignment in HRMS.
II. Separation Notification Group’s (SNG) Responsibilities
- The SNG will receive an emailed notice of separation of employment from the employing department routed through Human Resources. As applicable, the group will handle the following:
- Cancel all accounts associated with the separating employee. If employee is transferring to another UTSA department cancell accounts associated with the losing department only.
- Review their records to determine whether or not there are any outstanding obligations connected to the separating employee.
- Email the employing department’s point of contact the following information as applicable;
- Confirmation that all accounts have been or will be terminated on the effective date of separation
- List of property that needs to be recovered
- Confirmation that the separating employee has outstanding obligations that need to be settled, or is clear of any obligation
III. Human Resources (HR) Department’s Responsibilities
- Meet with separating employee and complete Section II of the Separation Checklist form
- Discuss all benefit issues, including future insurance coverage, payment for unused vacation, etc
Updated: June 17, 2013